Sunday, April 06, 2008

Cathedral Of St.Paul


Today, I took a tour ( along with my Family and my Mom) of the Cathedral Of St. Paul. Built in 1904, it is a stunning sight. The intricate craftsmanship of the marble and sculpture really makes you appreciate how much work was put into this grand place of worship.

The tour guides throughout the Cathedral told stores of the history of the church and of a era long before todays modern style churches. I love history, and this place did not lack it in the least.

What I took away from this visit was how many different cultures contributed to the building of this dramatic structure. Financially and Physically. It was built by the people of Minnesota and by all walks of life.

Just like your typical parish, rich,poor, privileged, and down on luck. This was a place for sanctuary.

I found peace in it today. I feel blessed.

7 comments:

Bar L. said...

Its gorgeous and very special. Thanks for sharing about it. I was there as a child but don't remember it well. Glad you had a nice time.

Um, don't want to rub it in...but you know where I'll be tonight :)

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful place. There is something peaceful about those old cathedrals, always.

Here through Lori, BTW.

Slone said...

uh... ok post...might be leaning on the gooey side, but just a bit!

reminds me about the time I attended church with you when I was a kid. It was the first time I'd ever seen a the inside of a Catholit Church. I was awe struck!

Mike said...

Barb- Hope you enjoyed The Boss!

Mcswain- Thanks for visiting!

Ye Old Gopper. Goomiester in full effect! :-)

Bar L. said...

Thought of you last night while I was at Bruce! Wish you could have been there, it was phenomenal !!!

Lori said...

How beautiful. I am Methodist and our churches are more simple - but still lovely. I'm always amazed at the splendor of the Catholic church. This one is particularly lovely.

I'm glad you found peace today.
Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike:

Reading this and knowing you and understanding all of your "layers" because of my makeup I applaud your wisdom and your daily walk in this journey!

Remember one thing

Just Be

I love you dad