Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lesson 2- Cords and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star


2nd night of class. Crazy teacher showed up in the typical crazy guy outfit. Sweatpants with a hole, black socks and sandals and a shirt with a big ol' mustard stain on it. ( cant make it up)

Class was a little better. We were asked to perform the song that we were supposed to learn. The toe tapper "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". 3 cords Gmajor, C major, and D7. I dont have problems with the cords, but the speed is the issue. C major can be a little stretchy, but I can get it pretty good. Anyway. Time came for the class to play one by one. I was the second best in class. There was a woman in class that was a ringer! This is the 7th time she has attempted to play guitar in her life. So....she had something on me! Mine was just a little more slow than her rendition ( I think I did a better job strumming!) :-) Maybe I was going for more of a bluesy version of Twinkle! haha!

We also spent some time letting the group share what goals they had for learning the guitar. I found that interesting, you can see the ones that are into this and the ones that will probably have the guitar in the closet in about a week. I also found it interesting that most of the people in the class were terrified to play that song "Twinkle Twinkle". Afraid to fail in front of others. I remember that feeling, maybe that is the advantage of doing this at my age. I just dont care what the other people think anymore. My goals are to play songs that I like to sing with. My audience will be my dog that loves to fall asleep when I play. If I get good enough at it...I will record a CD of the songs to have as my musical legacy! :-)

I spent about 90 minutes last night ( while watching that fake music show, American Idol) practicing my "Twinkle", and now I think I can WHUP Ms. Ringer! Ego is a good thing sometime!

I will sign up for the next level of this class, and try to learn some more cool tunes! Kumbya.....HERE I COME!

2 comments:

Lori said...

It sounds like you are having a good time with this. GOOD FOR YOU! You know, I always wanted to learn to play the harp. When we still lived in the city, my daughter had the same wish and took lessons. We rented a harp and she was pretty good! I didn't have the time then to devote it, but you know...in a couple of years the kids will both be in college. I may have to take it up!

Oh, and I'll take one of those CD's when you're through!

Slone said...

This is what I have always admired about you, you have always liked what you like and done it. You don't know how much I wish I was taking that class with you, not so much to learn to play (I kind of think I'd be one of those in the closet you go Mr Guitar) but to just be apart of you learning this and watching your progress (OK maybe to help you make fun of the teacher too. He kind of sounds like the teacher in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" that takes the kids to the morgue) and like Lori, I want one of those CD's too! Make mine an autographed one please!!